lunes, 10 de marzo de 2014

I Love Joshua Tree NP!

I was at Joshua Tree National Park this last weekend for a biological soil crust workshop, which was really fun and I learned a lot. Will out in the park checking out lichens and mosses I also got to see some really cool plants! The desert is all new to me and I have fallen in love with it!

One of the three flowering cacti that I saw during the trip. This one was at the Oasis Visitor Center and is beavertail cactus (Opuntia basilaris).


The flowers of the very common creosote (Larrea tridentata).

More creosote flowers

The creosote bush zoomed out at Keys Ranch. 

I believe after seeing this desert mistletoe I have seen all the Phoradendron species in CA! This is Phoradendron california and it is gorgeous!



The red berries are so striking and are eaten by birds. 


Phoradendron californica was actually quite common throughout the western side of the park that I visited. 

This is a yucca and is potentially Mojave yucca (Yucca schidigera).

The spine of pencil cholla (Cylindropuntia ramossisima) are pretty intense. 


Pencil cholla from afar

This place is amazing and I have to go back!

The inflorescence of the famous Joshua Tree (Yucca brevifolia). 


Apparently the flower buds of the Joshua Tree can be roasted and eaten. 

This is actually back within the boundary of the San Bernadino NF and was taken on my drive back. It was interesting because more of the Joshua Trees were flowering in the SBNF than the JTNP. 

This little cutie could be Wallace's Eriophyllum (Eriophyllum wallacei). I didn't have any identification guides for plants with me at the time. 

Barrel cactus (Ferocactus cylindraceus var lecontei)

Can you spot the gorgeous pink barrel cacti among the rocks?

Interesting rock formation

Some kind of cactus with a Dudleya squished in.

Keys Ranch



Another Dudleya

The inflorescence of a Dudleya getting ready to flower. 
I will be going back to Joshua Tree NP for sure!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario